Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Coming Home

My cousin Chris was in Iraq for about 6 months. He's a Marine. Thank God he came home safe...especially since he came home right as things were really "heating up" over there. My friend's brother, Christopher, is a reservist and was a few weeks shy of ending his service when he was sent over there, right around the time Chris went over. He has been there a good year now (and by "good year" I mean a solid year, not really a good year).

I was so happy when Chris came home, so happy he was safe and sound and could get one with his life of getting engaged and being the funniest person I know. I almost forgot there were still folks over there. But Christopher was still there.

I got an email from my friend today, saying that Christopher is on his way home. He is currently in Kuwait and will be back in Jersey in a few days. I am so grateful that he is coming home, and I can't wait for the day that all of our troops are home safe and sound.

Whether you support the war or not, it is hard to see it as worthwhile when two such great lives as Chris and Christopher are put at risk. And those are just the two people I knew over there. There are thousands of Chris's and Christophers, good people who are so loved here that fighting this war for people who don't seem to want us there at all, it hardly seems worth it.

Thank God, they didn't have to pay the ultimate sacrifice.