Thursday, July 07, 2005

Introducing...

But first...My condolences to the families of those killed in the London bombings. This is so horrifying - I have to get my mind around it and will hopefully be able to post some thoughts tomorrow. Please, anyone taking mass transit - be careful and cautious. Mrs. Mogul - hope you and yours are ok!!!

-------------------------------------
I don't know if any of you have read my 100 Things, but one of them is that I am 1/2 of an elite drinking team. Here is that story, and an introduction to the other 1/2.

Patsy used to date Hub's friend. Patsy and I were friendly, but I was better friends with her boyfriend. Then, the four of us went to Aruba and Patsy and I bonded. We realized we had a lot in common, but one of the most glaring commonalities (is that a word?) was that we both like to get our drink on.

Hub and Patsy's boyfriend (now her ex...whom we will just call "F&A") started giving us nicknames based on our superb drinking skills. The first were Jack and Daniels, given to us by F&A. We were also Deb and Beth from the horrendous yet quotable HBO movie "Hysterical Blindness" (and everyone still calls me Deb). And, we were Patsy and Eddie from the BBC show Absolutely Fabulous (we still call her Patsy). Later, after watching the movie Charlie's Angels, Hub was reminded of the scene where Lucy Liu was trying to figure out how to tell her boyfriend that she was a spy. She comes up with "I am 1/3 of an elite crime-fighting team." So, Hub dubbed us Charlie's Angels and said we were each "1/2 of an elite drinking team".

For a while, we thought that perhaps there should be a third Angel. Striking the Charlie's Angels pose with only two people was not so hot. So we began our search. At first, we thought it was the bartender at the bar we hang out at. But she turned out to be way too odd for us. She was always trying to look down my shirt, and she was quite clingy and needy. We decided to pass on her.

Our best option was our friend, whom I will call Britney (her story will be a post soon). She was one of the few girls who could keep up with us, so we were pretty sure she was The One. So sure, in fact, that I bought each of us cool blingin' "Angel" necklaces:
Angels in our Angel necklaces
You'll notice there are only 2 of us in this pic - because alas, Britney was so not the third angel. You'll know why when I get around to posting about her.

There were a few other contenders, but in the end we decided that being 1/2 is better than being 1/3 anyway. So we are Charlie's Angels, and 1/2 of an elite drinking team.

So without further ado, I'd like to introduce you to Patsy, the other 1/2! She finally started her own blog, called Drinks Well With Others, which you can be sure will be filled with odd tidbits of her odd life. Go check her out, please! And tell her True says hi!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

i'll go visit your other half and i'd be happy to fill in as a "sub angel" if either of you ever need time off,

Peanutt said...

I have visited Patsy Darling soon after she started her blog, via your great blog, of course, and love her to death! She is quite hilarious! And yes, sometimes LESS IS MORE!!!!! If I lived closer, I would indeed apply!!

Nam LaMore said...

how does one join the elite drinking team? please send me the forms!

due to our antics, my friend ("anders") and i have often been nicknamed frick & frack -- i'm not sure of the reference, but seems harmless enough.

btw: thanks for your well-wishes on my last blog entry. though i can no longer blog, i shall visit here as often as i can before my journey begins. less cryptic info as the travel date approaches.

when i am able to blog again (and i will! just not sure when that will happen), you'll be one of the first to be notified.

so .. thank you so much for helping me to understand the blog culture. it was a fun experiment, and i actually got hooked on it.

Jean-Luc Picard said...

JerseyGirl, I live in England, so I thank you for your comments.

I'll be taking a look at that blog now.

Anonymous said...

If you're An gels, I am definitely Bosley! I don't keep up....I set the pace!

Marie said...

That's so great! I love it. Plus I am all into the whole "Charlie's Angels" reference.

Charlie Mc said...

I should have this dynamic duo over to my party this Saturday!

J&J's Mom said...

Will do!

Tracy S said...

Cool story ....And you are right ...who needs a third.
Thanks for stopping by and welcoming me back :) Have a great weekend .

Z said...

Just want to let you know that I am back blogging again. My internet connection has been down and I have also been away. Speak to you soon, love T xxx

Anonymous said...

Hey True! thanks for asking about me, I'm back to blogging today..needed yesterday to recoup. I like her blog name, she sounds like my kind of gal!

Bridget Unnel said...

Sadly, I don't think my application would pass. My drinking days are definitely over. Two glasses of wine and I'm looped!!

Anonymous said...

drinkswellwithothers dot com, what a great name for a blog!

Scarlet Hip said...

There was a time when I could have been your third angel...I could actually barf up all my alcohol and start drinking again. Gross I know, but I know you're impressed.