Thursday, March 17, 2005

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

We decided to go into NYC today to the St. Patrick's Day parade. As close as I live to the city (about 10 miles), I had never been to the parade, and neither had Hub. So, we packed up Princess and gathered up two of our friends and headed in. It was a nice day - although the parade was a little boring for my taste (I am used to New Orleans parades - that's where we have been for the past few St. Patrick's Days). It was all bagpipes and marching bands and people walking. No floats, no beads, no craziness. But Princess enjoyed herself - she LOVED the cops on horseback, especially.

Jersey Girl & Princess

I want her to enjoy all the benefits that NYC has to offer. Growing up, we never went in because it was the scary big city. My parents saw someone get stabbed there when they were dating, and that did it for them (can't blame them for that). But I love it there, and I don't fear it at all. I want Princess to feel the same way. I want to expose her to the museums and the architecture, the street performers and the Broadway shows, the sights and sounds and yes, even the smells. I want her to know her way around and know how to carry herself. Most of all, I want her to develop the same love of New York that I have. Today was her first time there, and I know it won't be her last.

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish I was there! I used to work right on Fifth Ave and at lunchtime on st Pattys we all would take two hour lunches!

Sleeping Mommy said...

I can only imagine what it must be like to have access to that kind of culture...

I'm so jealous.

Anonymous said...

I would like the chance to see the St Patrick's parade in New York one day. I've seen the city otherwise but the parade I'm missing. Here via Michele's comment game...but I've been here before too.

Raehan said...

Hi. Thanks for visiting my blog. I like yours. My parents lived in Manhatten during my college years and I remember bringing friends to watch the St. Patricks day on a very cold March day. And yes, it was only lots of people marching....nothing fancy.

But I loooooove New York. I miss it.