I was thinking I should list my favorites in various categories from 2006, because isn't that what we do as we enter a new year? We wrap up the old? To get ready for the new? But then I realized that I only saw one movie in the theaters in 2006 (the Zach Braff movie, I can’t remember what it was called, it was a'ight). So movies are out. And I don't watch much tv these days either. Hm. Ah, but music I know. Music I love. So here, without further ado, are my top 10 songs/cd's of 2006:
1. My Chemical Romance - The Black Parade (cd): The beauty of this cd is what started my overwhelming obsession with this band, not Gerard Way's beautifulness (although that didn't hurt). I have said this before and will say it again - this cd is pure genius and if you don't like it there is something wrong with you. Get past the "emo" thing, get past the eyeliner and hair, and listen to the music and the lyrics. It's a gorgeous masterpiece about death that somehow manages to not be depressing.
2. 30 Seconds to Mars - A Beautiful Lie (cd): I think this cd came out in 2005 actually, but it hit this year so its worth mentioning. Try not to think of Jared Leto as Jordan Catalano and just listen. Attack is amazing, The Kill is phenomenal, and The Story is my theme song. 30STM is one of my favorite bands and this is a terrific cd.
3. Red Jumpsuit Apparatus - Don't You Fake It (cd): I fell in love with the song Face Down because even though it is sung by boys it is an anthem to girls in abusive relationships to kick those losers to the curb. And the rest of the cd is great too - the highlights for me are The Grim Goodbye and Your Guardian Angel. Love this kid's voice.
4. Taking Back Sunday - Makedamnsure (song): I didn't love this whole cd, but it had its moments. Makedamnsure is a great song that I haven't gotten tired of. It is quite obsessive and I like that in my music. Their new single, Liar, is pretty good too.
5. Hawthorne Heights - Saying Sorry (song): I love the blend of beautiful, light singing with a harsh, screaming rant here and there. It's such a catchy little tune and I find myself singing it all the time.
6. Avenged Sevenfold - Seize the Day (song): Awesome song by an awesome band. Love how they slowed it down for this one. And the video is fairly disturbing but great.
7. AFI - Miss Murder (song): the whole cd is pretty good, but this song is so catchy and wonderful. Especially since Princess sings along but insists that it says "Miss Maria" (one of her teachers) instead of Miss Murder. Gotta love that. And my God his eyeshadow was tremendous on Dick Clark's Rockin New Year's Eve.
8. Fully Alive - Flyleaf (song): This whole cd didn't do it for me. I tried really hard to love it because I would love for there to be a kickass female rocker out there, but she just doesn't have "it" and her voice is just ok (though she does have a fierce scream that I love). But this song, Fully Alive, is awesome.
9. Circa Survive - Act Appalled (song): I would venture to say none of you have heard of this band or song. But I got a sampler cd at last year's Bamboozle festival and this song was on it and I have been a fan since.
10. Justin Timberlake - My Love & Sexyback (songs): Why I like Justin Timberlake is a total and complete mystery to me. I hate this type of music, I hate boy bands, I hate all of it. But somehow Justin breaks through it all and his music is actually good. Plus, I plan on bringing the sexy back in 2007.
Runners Up: Foxy Foxy by Rob Zombie, Tears Don't Fall by Bullet for My Valentine, Ex's and Oh's by Atryeu, Through Glass by Stone Sour, Diary of Jane by Breaking Benjamin, When You Were Young by The Killers, Pressure by Paramore, Garage Junk Love Song by Ropetree, and Animal I Have Become by Three Days Grace.
What songs/cd's did you love that I missed?