Friday, January 19, 2007

Here's What I Don't Get

There are a lot of things I don't understand about Republicans. I won't even get started on that because listing all the things I don't get could take a long time. But I do want to mention the one thing that's making me insane (other than the big who-ha about gay marriage - who cares?).

Its the war. Now let me step back a few years. I have never supported George W, but when he told me that Iraq had WMD's, and it was just after 9/11, and I had watched the smoke billow out of the World Trade Center from my office - well, I believed him. I had to - I mean, he knows more than me, right? (And, the supposed left-wing media did absolutely nothing to investigate this or question the administration at all, so regular Americans had nothing to go on but the word of our President). So when he told me that we were in danger I was in favor of the war. Nothing scares me more than terrorism, being that I live less than 10 miles from NYC.

Well. Here we are, all these years later. Iraq was not a threat to us then, although it is now. It seemed that we all "got it" when we voted in November. It seemed that we all said, get these morons who obviously have no clue outta there before they do even more damage. So, what does our all-knowing President do? He decides to send in MORE troops. More, yes, but according to everything I have read, still not enough to get the job done. The whole war has been half-assed to this point, so now he's going to send more kids to die but not enough to win.

I want nothing more than for us to succeed in Iraq. I love my country and I don't want us to fail or be viewed as weak. And before you say it, please understand that I support the troops with all my heart (my cousin is a Marine who served in Iraq and I am prouder than I can say). But I don't get how the President can be so blatently told by Americans that we are sick of this war and of his bumbling of it, only to have him say not only are we not leaving but we are going in further.

I don't know what the answer is so don't ask me. I don't know if we should pull out all the troops now or do it gradually or reinstate the draft and get the real number of troops we need over there to win. I don't know. What I do know is that George W. doesn't know either, and that is scary.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know the answer. Split Iraq up. In the north, Kurdistan. In the south, give that to Iran (That would centralize all the Shiites into one country, lessening fighting). In the middle, Iraq (Sunnis). Some say it's a temporary solution, but I disagree.

PS, it is totally backwards-ass to send more troops to a losing battle.

Jean-Luc Picard said...

We all want peace in Iraq, and the soldiers to come home. What annoys me is people like Michael Moore exploiting the situation.

guppyman said...

My thoughts...

Take off the gloves. How we have fought so far has been pitiful...

If they attack and run into a mosque, you blow up the mosque. if they attack from a house, you blow up the house. if a neighborhood is hiding these guys who attack our troops, well... bye bye neighborhood.

We must finish the job there. Pulling out without doing so will encourage the little crazy folks who want to kill us... But if we're gonna do it, then we need to do it.

In wars we won before, we didn't try to win while we were rebulding everything... we beat them into submission, beat the fight out of them, THEN we rebuilt. This is what we should have done in Iraq, and what we should make our policy going forward...

American Idol will be on for an hour BTW...