Tuesday, April 03, 2007

A Taste of Chaos

The weekend before last, we went to the Taste of Chaos concert. It was AMAZING. Of course we picked the wrong place to go for dinner (this dive/bar/restaurant place in Asbury Park that serves each person their meal individually - meaning they will give me my meal and then when I am done, they will give the next person their meal...this is not some new, chi-chi way to eat, its just poor service. There were 8 of us so it took about 4 hours for burgers). Since it took so long we missed the first batch of bands, which sucked. I wanted to see Aiden and Saosin. Oh well.

When we got to the concert, Senses Fail was about to come on. They were decent, not great. A little too screamy, even for me. Then 30 Seconds to Mars came on, with my beloved Jared Leto:
Jared Leto = Total Hotness.

Me, Patsy, and this chick Nicole forced our way up to the very front and when the band came on we got totally crushed. We were repeatedly kicked in the heads and necks by crowd surfers, punched by people trying to get in front of us (not happening), and just basically had our air supply cut off by the massive, oppressive crush of the crowd. It was GREAT! I know it sounds like it was painful (it was) but being in the pit rules. I stayed in for about 3/4 of the show and then left because I realized that A) I was spending so much time trying to stay on my feet and not die that I wasn't sufficiently staring at Jared, and B) I was getting really sweaty and my hair was looking bad. Can't have that.

Then The Used came on. I so heart them and have never seen them before. I thought they were awesome. Our group was split on how we felt about them - some of us loved them, some of us thought they were ok, some of us thought the lead singer was too unattractive to enjoy the band. Here was the best part of their set - Bert (the lead singer) says: "Ok, we are going to try something. Let's split the crowd in half (it was all general admission so no seats)." The crowd does as Bert says, so picture about 2000 sweaty, angst-ridden kids on one side and 2000 sweaty, angst-ridden kids on the other. Then, Bert tells them to run at each other. They start playing my fave Used song and then the two sides of the crowd run directly at each other and start the biggest, meanest mosh pit evah. Of course, as soon as he split the crowd I knew what was coming so I got my too-old-for-that-kind-of-thing ass out of the way. It was awesome to watch though.

11 comments:

Bobkat said...

A tidal wave of sweaty angst ridden kids breaking against a similar wave?! Think I would have hawled ass too! Sound slike you had a great night though!

JM said...

Damn it; I just realized I'm getting old. This sounded great, right up to the point where you said you were repeatedly kicked in the head. That sounds too much like going to work for my tastes.

JB said...

Ahhh... Good times. I always found that sticking me elbows out worked wll. Of cours I'm 6'2" so that is pretty close to head height. Great blog BTW...

Natsthename said...

ROCK ON, woman! Great to hear that you are still rocking like an 18-year-old! (I'm jealous!)

Anonymous said...

I havent' been to a mosh pit concert in eons!! you are rocking mom! And no gun in the house. i think if you have a gun, you're gonna use it!

Kathleen said...

I would have bailed too. I'm much too old and too smart to take part in a mosh pit anymore. I will, however, defend my front row GA spot to the DEATH!!! Elbows have been used, as has the Look of Death.

The youngsters always think they can outmuscle me, but they don't have that saying about age and treachery for nothing.

Jennifer said...

I absolutely agree with you on Jared Leto! Yummy!

Thanks for visiting me at my blog.

Jean-Luc Picard said...

Sometimes, music can be a bit too noisy.

LisaBinDaCity said...

You go, you rock and roll chick ;-)

Anonymous said...

i don't know how you do it!
and jared is yummy.

Mone said...

That sounds like a big girls nigth out with a lot of fun! But 4hours for 8 burger? I would have be PISSED BIG TIME :)