Wednesday, October 03, 2018

The One Where I Pay Myself on the Back

I have been getting the nicest compliments from co-workers since I was offered my promotion. (Of course, my boss has not called me back, so the promotion thing is not official, which is making me mental. But it's ok, really, I'm fine.)

The leaders in my location now know that they will be losing me three days a week, and they are freaking out. I have been told that we have to get full-blown Skype at work so that we can video conference daily because a phone call or text or regular skype message just isn't going to be enough. And that on my two days here, they are going to bring their laptops and just set up shop in my office every minute that I'm here. And just generally that they are going to miss me, and while they love the person I am planning on promoting, she just isn't a replacement for me.

The person I am planning on promoting has been so complimentary, as well. We are more than employee and manager; we are friends. She told me that she was talking to her husband about how much she is going to miss me and that she isn't sure how she is going to get through the days without me. He told her that an employee should not feel like that about their boss; there is something wrong with how much she loves me. She told him that he doesn't understand - that I am so supportive and understanding, and that I am unlike any other boss she has ever had.

I got what was maybe the best compliment yesterday from a co-worker who has been promoted up the ranks with me (not in HR; in the area I support). She said that what made her most proud of my promotion is that I didn't change who I am to get ahead. I've always said that I knew my boss did not like me. I am just not her cup of tea. I am sarcastic, dress a little edgier than she'd like, and do not kiss ass, ever. I don't talk just to hear my own voice and I don't self-promote. I am who I am, and I do what I do. If you appreciate it, great. If not, and I'm not the one for this job, then give me a severance package and I will be on my way. So, all these years later, to have the boss who did not like me, did not "get" me, and probably wished she could replace me with someone else offer me a promotion, and I didn't have to change myself to get it...it's a big deal. And to have my co-worker recognize it and call it out was awesome.

It means so much to me to hear that the people whom I've supported for the past 13 years appreciate me...and even more so, that they appreciate me for ME, not just for my work. They value me. They know that I give my heart and soul to them. They know that I'm here to help.

Finally, I think my boss may be seeing it too (although, again, she has not called me back, but I'm not feeling crazy about it at all, not at all, not at all, not at all, not even a little bit). I am curious, and a little anxious, to see if I can build these relationships with two new offices and numerous new employees. But for today, I am am basking in the glory of my awesomeness.

No comments: